The Kesari Wada, located in Pune city of Maharashtra, has gained much significance as a historical monument. The Gaikwads built this Wada as their personal resident. The Prince of Baroda, Sayajirao Gaikwad Sarkar lived here before selling it to Bal Gangadhar Tilak, the famous leader of the Indian independence movement. Bal Gangadhar Tilak ran the Kesari (Marathi newspaper) and the Maratha (English newspaper) from this place till his death in 1920.
Originally called the Gaikwad Wada, its name was later changed to Kesari Wada by Bal Gangadhar Tilak. The Wada has witnessed many night-long discussions by India leaders from the freedom moment about the British rule in India. The original building has gone through several renovations to make it fit for the modern lifestyle. However, few things are still the original like the main entrance gate, which is made of wood.
Kesari Wada still houses the office of Kesari newspaper. The Tilak Museum is a great attraction that houses many belongings of Gangadhar Tilak. There is also a Kesari-Maratha Library on the second floor of the building. Bal Gangadhar Tilak started the annual Ganesh festival celebration in Kesari Wada to unite the people for independence struggle. The trend is still followed and many events like music concerts, lectures and competitions are organized during the Ganesh festival.